Senior Health Sector Advisor – Abt Associates
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Sr. Health Sector Advisor for the Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) project’s activity in Jamaica. The activity will focus on identifying and implementing strategies to increase private sector engagement in Jamaica’s COVID-19 response. The two main objectives of the activity are: 1) accelerate widespread and equitable access to and delivery of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines; and 2) reduce morbidity and mortality from COVID-19, mitigate transmission, and strengthen health systems, including to prevent, detect, and respond to pandemic threats. LHSS will work in close coordination with the Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW) and local private sector stakeholders to effectively coordinate, manage, and expand the role of the private sector to achieve these objectives. This includes supporting the MOHW to manage and implement a strategy to deploy COVID-19 vaccines through private sector providers; designing and implementing a private sector communication strategy to address vaccine hesitancy, and building the capacity of private sector actors to provide COVID-19 surge support and strengthen COVID-19 case management capabilities.
The LHSS Jamaica activity will be a 12-month program, starting in September 2021. This position will be full time and based in Kingston. Within the LHSS project, the Sr. Health Sector Advisor will supervise a Kingston-based Technical Officer and Finance and Grants Manager. The Sr. Health Sector Advisor will report to the LHSS Jamaica Country Manager, based in the USA.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Sr. Health Sector Advisor will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Direct overall management and implementation of the LHSS Jamaica activity.
- Serve as the project’s primary point of contact and key liaison with USAID, government counterparts including the MOHW, grantees, and local partners and successfully manage project relationships with each stakeholder to ensure an effective, coordinated COVID-19 response.
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to produce successful project results within workplan timeline and in alignment with GOJ priorities.
- Work in close coordination with the MOHW to develop, roll out, and monitor a private sector vaccine administration grant program.
- Identify and implement strategies that build the capacity of private sector providers to support the COVID-19 response, including case management, vaccine administration, surge support, and managing the GOJ’s private sector vaccine initiative.
- Ensure achievements of work plan targets, lead progress monitoring and using adaptive management techniques as appropriate.
- Contribute to the implementation of the activity’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning plan.
- Design tools for and carry out data collection and reporting for project activities and assessments, including conducting data analysis and disseminating results to internal and external audiences as required.
- Oversee high-quality technical deliverables, budget management, and compliance.
- Supervise local experts and provide technical assistance and advice on implementation strategies to project staff, grantees, and consultants.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Jamaican health system, including the private health sector.
- Previous successful experience implementing complex private-sector health activities is required.
- Demonstrated experience with organizational and provider capacity building and public-private partnerships is highly desirable.
- Previous successful experience leading and managing USAID-funded projects is highly desirable, projects with grants components strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for project learning and results reporting.
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing project data across knowledge areas and translating project monitoring data/evidence to knowledge and learning products or actions.
- Strong working relationships with key officials in the MOHW is highly desired.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with the ability to lead high-level meetings and forums.
- Demonstrated leadership and teamwork skills, and ability to produce high-quality work in a timely manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Jamaican nationals are encouraged to apply.
Bachelor’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Ten years of relevant experience, or PhD+ Eight years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.