Health Specialist/Technical Officer – LHSS Jamaica
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Health Specialist/Technical Officer for the Local Health System Sustainability Project (LHSS) activity in Jamaica. The activity works with the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) and private health sector stakeholders to support private-public partnerships to reduce strain on the public sector and strengthen the country’s COVID-19 response. The two main objectives of the activity are to engage the private health sector to 1) accelerate widespread and equitable access to and delivery of safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines, and 2) reduce morbidity and mortality from COVID-19 and mitigate transmission by providing clinical and laboratory support services for the national COVID-19 response. The activity will strengthen the capacity of local private sector, academic and civil society organizations, and networks of private providers to partner with the MOHW to achieve these objectives. This includes supporting the MOHW to manage and implement a strategy to deploy COVID-19 vaccines through private sector providers; designing and implementing a private sector communication strategy to address vaccine hesitancy, and building the capacity of private sector actors to provide COVID-19 surge support and strengthen COVID-19 case management capabilities.
The LHSS Jamaica activity is a 12-month program, September 2021 – August 2022. This position will be full time and based in Kingston. The Health Specialist will be supported by US-based technical, operations, and finance teams, and a Kingston-based Finance and Grants Manager. The Health Specialist will report to the LHSS Jamaica Sr. Health Sector Advisor, based in Kingston.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
The Health Specialist/Technical Officer will have the following specific duties and responsibilities:
- Support the LHSS Jamaica Sr. Health Sector Advisor to develop technical strategies for implementing project activities and achieving project objectives.
- Assist the LHSS Jamaica Sr. Health Sector Advisor in monitoring activity progress against objective goals stipulated in the work plan and ensure successful completion within the timeline.
- Support completion of deliverables and ensure high quality of product delivery in accordance with LHSS and client standards.
- Provide literature review, rapid assessment, data analysis and other technical contributions to activity and intervention leads.
- Represent LHSS in meetings with USAID, government counterparts, grantees, and local partners, as required by the Sr. Health Sector Advisor.
- Support routine data collection, monitoring, and reporting for project activities.
- Prepare communications highlighting technical contributions of the project.
- Perform other activities as assigned by LHSS Jamaica Sr. Health Sector Advisor.
- Strong understanding of public and private healthcare systems in Jamaica and Jamaica’s COVID-19 vaccine deployment preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in public-private partnerships, health communications, capacity development or a related topic.
- Previous experience coordinating health projects and/or international donor-funded projects required.
- Previous experience working closely or collaborating with the Jamaican Ministry of Health and Wellness and USAID desirable.
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Jamaican nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bachelor’s Degree + Nine years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Seven years of relevant experience, or PhD + Four years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Apply here: https://egpy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/job/100930/?utm_medium=jobshare